Minardi "A season rich in successes for ACI Team Italia"
It has been a 2006 rich in success for the ACI Team Italia – a project strongly wanted by the Italian Automobile Club –, along with its four standard bearers, Antonio Giovinazzi, Raffaele Marciello, Luca Ghiotto, and Antonio Fuoco, it has raised our tricolor up in two of the most important international championships, GP3 and GP2 Series.
– 25 podia achieved within the season, among which 17 ones achieved in GP2 by its three “musketeers” Giovinazzi-Marciello-Ghiotto, and 8 ones signed in GP3 by Antonio Fuoco;
– 8 wins (6 in GP2 by its two rookies Giovinazzi-Ghiotto, and 2 in GP3);
– 5 successes by Antonio Giovinazzi (on the circuit of Baku, Spa-Francorchamps, Monza, and Malaysia);
– 2 successes by Antonio Giovinazzi in the same weekend (Baku). The standard bearer of the Prema Team has been the only one to sign a double-win.
– 1 victory for Luca Ghiotto with the Trident team on the circuit of Sepang in Malaysia, and three podia;
– 5 podia for Raffaele Marciello;
– 2 victories for Antonio Fuoco in GP3 (Silverstone and Hockenheim);
– 2 second places and 4 third places for Antonio Fuoco.
Such important numbers have consigned to Antonio Giovinazzi not just the title of GP2 vice-champion, but the promotion as a third driver at the Ferrari Stable. An important goal representing the beginning of a new path for a driver who has already proved to have the appropriate mental and technical features to emerge.
It has been an important year for other drivers as well. At his debut, Luca Ghiotto conquered a victory in Malaysia and his season ended in the top-10 thanks to his eight place. For Raffaele Marciello, instead, the door for GT competitions could open up soon.
At the starting grid of GP2 2017, we will also see Antonio Fuoco, promoted after a positive GP3 season that he ended in the third absolute place, in the row of the champion team Prema, beside Leclerc.
One more time, these results highlight how much talent is within our national borders. Our drivers have nothing to envy their colleagues. We know that reaching Formula 1 is not easy because there are just 22 cars, but in all these years the federation has played a crucial role in the growth these boys following them actively since karting.
The announcement about Antonio Giovinazzi’s promotion as a third driver in the Ferrari Stable is the summit of the Aci training that is meant to identify and promote the most promising stars of the Italian motor sports.
We are working on a 2017 even more rich in successes. Happy New Year everyone.